Skip to main content

David Dodd Lee's "Animalities"


I went to a fabulous party called "Beers Giving". I tasted varieties of craft and local beers-- I have not had many beers since my Belgium trip! It was a wonderfully artistic party meeting college writers/friends and professors; a reunion in a way. 

I was helping the host of "Beers Giving." I even drilled into three pumpkins to make lanterns. I have never carved a pumpkin before, but now I am pretty good at it after three huge pumpkins. I also drew a welcome board for the party in the picture. The quote is from a new poetry book by David Dodd Lee, "Animalities." His actual word was "Soda" but I changed it to "Beer". And I was aware that a coin cannot into a beer bottle... 

I was reading his book on the South Shore Line back to Chicago. There are many favorite poems in the book, but I would like to share one. His book makes my heart sentimental, like drinking lemonade with a little bit of life bitterness. 


THE LESSON 
by David Dodd Lee

The joy cannot continue,
cannot extinguish the fire in

.....the bathtub,
the sirens roving from room to room

in the small house just down the hill
from the seven large houses, candles in

.....every open
doorway. This is how you see in the dark, he says.

and he takes her hand in his hand, her hand
holding a yellow pencil, and he crosses words out.



David Dodd Lee's "Animalities" Available at Four Way Book


Popular posts from this blog

Amazon Best Sellers : Best Asian American Poetry #11

Thank you very much for purchasing my poetry chapbook, "Home, No Home". I am really REALLY thankful for your support.

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"
Previous project - "On a Black Hill" This collection will be available from Tupelo Press.