Skip to main content

#12 Poem - Ogura Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首)

Ogura Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首) is a classical Japanese anthology of one hundred waka-poems by one hundred poets in the thirteenth century. My challenge is to translate the poems and write a return poem (返歌) in English.

The Twelfth Poem:


天つ風

雲の通い路
吹きとぢよ
 をとめの姿
しばしとどめむ
--僧正遍昭

Blowing blue winds—

close a path between clouds
to heaven;
let five celestial maidens
dance one more time.
--Soujyo Hensyo
--Translated by Naoko Fujimoto

返歌

A poem written in response from me to Soujyo Hensyo

When you read a love poem;

I want Chopin’s waltz
to dance;
I take off my flat shoes
and step up to the November cloud.

Popular posts from this blog

Amazon Best Sellers : Best Asian American Poetry #11

Thank you very much for purchasing my poetry chapbook, "Home, No Home". I am really REALLY thankful for your support.

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"
Previous project - "On a Black Hill" This collection will be available from Tupelo Press.