Skip to main content

Poem - Ogura Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首) #9

Ogura Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首) is a classical Japanese anthology of one hundred waka-poems by one hundred poets in the thirteenth century. My challenge is to translate the poems and write a return poem (返歌) in English. 

The Ninth Poem: 

花の色は
うつりにけりな
いたづらに
わが身よにふる
ながめせしまに
--小野小町

Cold spring rain falls onto
cherry blossoms; fading
their color slowly over time
just like my beauty
while I think of you.
--Onono Komachi
--Translated  by Naoko Fujimoto

返歌
A poem written in response from me to Onono Komachi

You are pieces of
dried skin and bones
under the graveyard,
but your poem is still
like a grayish pink spring day.   

Popular posts from this blog

Flower Drawing

Thank you very much for decorating with my drawing in the best spot. My art is available at Etsy.

Graphic Poetry Project - "How to Choke Myself in the Ugly Kitchen"

Graphic Poetry Project - "How to Choke Myself in the Ugly Kitchen" 
My poetry chapbook "Home, No Home" is available at Amazon, Educe Press, and Etsy.
Recent Graphic Poetry Project : Kotobuki 7

Amazon Best Sellers : Best Asian American Poetry #11

Thank you very much for purchasing my poetry chapbook, "Home, No Home". I am really REALLY thankful for your support.