Skip to main content

Poem - Ogura Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首) #7

Ogura Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首) is a classical Japanese anthology of one hundred waka-poems by one hundred poets in the thirteenth century. My challenge is to translate the poems and write a return poem (返歌) in English. 

The Seventh Poem:

天の原
ふりさけ見れば
春日なる
三笠の山に
出でし月かも
--安部仲麿
--Abeno Nakamaro

In the night sky,
looking up to find
the moon, 
is it the same one 
over Mt. Mikasa in Kasuga, my home?

返歌
A poem written in response from me to Abeno Nakamaro

Interstellar light 
travels thousands of years to the Earth;
when it was born,
you were missing home;
finally here, in my foreign sky.


**Note: Abeno Nakamaro was an exchange scholar about 700A.C. He went to China to study poetry and politics; however, he could not come back to Japan. 

Popular posts from this blog

Amazon Best Sellers : Best Asian American Poetry #11

Thank you very much for purchasing my poetry chapbook, "Home, No Home". I am really REALLY thankful for your support.

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"
Previous project - "On a Black Hill" This collection will be available from Tupelo Press.