Skip to main content

Poem - Ogura Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首) #5

Ogura Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首) is a classical Japanese anthology of one hundred waka-poems by one hundred poets in the thirteenth century. My challenge is to translate the poems and write a return poem (返歌) in English. 

The Fifth Poem

奥山に
紅葉ふみわけ
鳴く鹿の
声聞くときぞ
秋はかなしき
--猿丸大夫

I hear from the deepest forest,
deer steps on red maple leaves, 
and cries;
cries,
I feel the autumn.
--Sarumaru Daiyuu
--Translated by Naoko Fujimoto

返歌
A poem written in response from me to Sarumaru Daiyuu

The autumn is not so lonely,
for the longest night,
I write a letter
remembering my first trip to Kyoto,
picking up maple leaves with my mother.

Popular posts from this blog

Amazon Best Sellers : Best Asian American Poetry #11

Thank you very much for purchasing my poetry chapbook, "Home, No Home". I am really REALLY thankful for your support.

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"
Previous project - "On a Black Hill" This collection will be available from Tupelo Press.