Skip to main content

Hungry Beauty – a Pizza-Ninja at La Place in Amsterdam


La Place in Amsterdam 

“How would you like to cook salmon?”
“Could you grill it until the surface becomes golden and crispy, but juicy inside with sautéd spinach?” I asked. I am picky about fish.
“Do you need potatoes for a side?” the chef asked.
“Yes. Could you add salt and rosemary?”

At La Place in Amsterdam, Netherlands, I could enjoy a restraint quality meal in a more casual environment (attached to a shopping mall). After my hubby chose a cute Miffy’s shirt for my nephew at the mall, we decided to have dinner.

I also made my own salad. I selected a plate from small, medium, and large sizes, which dictated the salad’s price. Some people put everything (cooked carrots, ham, organic carrots in vinegar, broccoli, cus-cus, raw carrots, etc) in the smallest plate and pay the minimum price. Maybe it’s about cost efficiency, but I wonder if their taste buds work that way. And they do not always finish whatever they placed in their plates (and toss it away!). I preferred nicely selecting side dishes with colorful vegetables enough for my hubby and me. 


My hubby ordered a pizza. He selected vegetables and ham. The chef was a pizza-ninja who kept adding ham after an ham… He picked fresh herbs from the counter, added (and added) the ingredients, and quickly tossed it in the oven. My hubby wanted to ask for less ham, but the pizza was covered (like a mountain) by ham. It was definitely meaty.


My hubby and I had dinner on the second floor of the kitchen, consisting of crispy/juicy salmon, bite-sized potatoes, a small salad, a ham pizza, and a banana smoothie. I noticed that around us many people enjoying dinner. Some families spoke French with three adorable kids. Some people read a book or laptop on the table. Four young women celebrated a birthday. They had dinner and shared cupcakes on the table. They dressed up so colorful and fashionable—everyone had a black leather jackets—when I gazed at them, they suddenly changed from speaking in English to Dutch.

At the casher’s desk, I got a free meal coupon for the next purchase. I wanted to give it to the birthday party girls (or family that were dining), but I was shy, so I left it on our table. After seven o’clock in the evening, most of the shops were closed and the streets were already dark.


La Place
Kalverstraat 203
Amsterdam, Netherlands
+31 900 2358363

Popular posts from this blog

Amazon Best Sellers : Best Asian American Poetry #11

Thank you very much for purchasing my poetry chapbook, "Home, No Home". I am really REALLY thankful for your support.

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"
Previous project - "On a Black Hill" This collection will be available from Tupelo Press.