Skip to main content

Hungry Beauty – Le Point de Chute in Brussels, Belgium


 Le Point de Chute, Brussels

Thanks to Google map, I could identify an organic café in Brussels, Le Point de Chute. I will explain why I forgot to take a picture of the café. The café was located right under the Palais de Justice (Law Courts of Brussels) by the glass elevator. It is also on the way to the antique market, the Place du Jeu de Balle.

The café serves organic food and fruit drinks. I really enjoyed having croissant-like pretzel sandwich and berry smoothies. The chef and waitress were very nice along with their friendly cat by the windows. 

But we did not realize the menu stated remember is “NO CREDIT CARDS” in the biggest and loudest impression at the bottom of the first page as we were too entranced by the awesomeness of their breakfast selection. 

“The total is forty seven Euro,” said a pretty waitress. 
My hubby gave her our credit card.
“I am sorry, cash only, please,” she responded.

My hubby and I were frozen because we had only thirty Euro.

So, my hubby ran out to find an ATM. It took about thirty minutes for him to return, wherein the waitress kindly asked in a mix of English and French if I wanted to drink something while I waited. Of course we didn’t have enough for the meal we just ate, so I didn’t want to add onto it with another drink. But they were very kind.

I kept thinking though, what if my hubby could not use an American credit card in Brussels and we could not pay the bill. What could we do for money? Were we going to wash dishes? Peal carrots? I searched every pocket in my bag while he was hunting down an ATM. I found fifty US dollars. If he could not find the ATM, I decided to pay thirty euro with fifty dollars. It was too much, but hopefully they would accept the situation. The waitress asked me again, “Anything? Tea?” I smiled and acted as an innocent Japanese woman who did not understand English nor French.

What we did not realize was that the banks all close for a 60-90 minute lunch hour, and we finished eating right after they closed. My hubby actually tracked down two banks since the first one did not work, and even the first ATM in the second bank would not make a withdrawal. But since he had done this in other countries, he patiently read the icons above the different types of ATMs in the bank’s front room and waited for someone to make two dozen consecutive withdrawals from one he assumed would work. 

When he returned with the cash I was relieved. We paid and left a good tip for their patience (Europeans rarely leave tips). The waitress reminded us that a lot of small cafés does not accept credit cards, so customers should carry some cash. We quickly left from the café when the chef said, “Thank you very much!”



Le Point de Chute

Rue de l'Épée 10
Zwaardstraat 10

1000 Brussels




Popular posts from this blog

Amazon Best Sellers : Best Asian American Poetry #11

Thank you very much for purchasing my poetry chapbook, "Home, No Home". I am really REALLY thankful for your support.

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"
Previous project - "On a Black Hill" This collection will be available from Tupelo Press.