Skip to main content

"Virginia Wolf" by Kyo Maclear



Story by Kyo Maclear
Publisher: Kids Can Press 
 Four out of Five Stars

"If I were flying, I would travel
to a perfect place. A place 
with frosted cakes and beautiful 
flowers and excellent trees
to climb and absolutely no doldums..."

***
The story was cleverly inspired by Virginia Woolf and her sister. Virginia woke up feeling wolfish -- depressed & hysterical, as Virgina Woolf was known as being -- so her sister tries to cheer Virginia up. I love the story's idea, Isabelle Arsenault's art, and the handwriting in the book. The book stands out because their beautiful art choices. However, I may disagree with the word and image choices. It seemed to rely too much on short, choppy sentences. Maybe it was trying to establish a rhythm, but it seemed overly-simple in spots.

Popular posts from this blog

Amazon Best Sellers : Best Asian American Poetry #11

Thank you very much for purchasing my poetry chapbook, "Home, No Home". I am really REALLY thankful for your support.

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"
Previous project - "On a Black Hill" This collection will be available from Tupelo Press.