Skip to main content

Day 5: Tupelo Press 30/30 Poetry Project ( National Poetry Month)


UNDER THE SWING
after the tsunami on 3/11/2011 

Men shovel dirt 

and rubble. Under this heavy 
clay, they find a street. 

The tsunami siren 
blows. They run up to the hill 

again.

...............I walked behind my father 
...............along a street. I listened to earthworms on wet 
...............leaves. "We don’t sit on a swing today," he said, 

...............so I stared at his moving feet. 

A man asks, 
"Keep digging for what?"  

This street does not take us home.

...............In her kitchen, 
...............my mother cooked miso-soup. Mushrooms 
...............and tofu were on the cutting 
...............board. A slice of salmon laid on a grill.

The windows are clouded with steam.

Under the moonlight, thousands of ghosts 
migrate from the sea. They scatter 

seeds on the street.

Shovels glimmer. The most 

beautiful flowers are left 
under the broken swing.

*Click* 30/30 Project by Tupelo Press 

Popular posts from this blog

Amazon Best Sellers : Best Asian American Poetry #11

Thank you very much for purchasing my poetry chapbook, "Home, No Home". I am really REALLY thankful for your support.

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"
Previous project - "On a Black Hill" This collection will be available from Tupelo Press.