Skip to main content

UNATURAL CAUSE -- Poem

UNATURAL CAUSE

I eat soda ice-candy with my sister and see a dog
following the neighbor woman. The dog has a long
tail and we always want to feel it. My grandfather hates
the dog because it is a yapping disaster.

When the dog chases us to my grandfather’s house,
my grandfather grabs a fishing net
and follows it into the corner of a bathtub
because he wants to drown it.

And we are just after him to see
how he catches it and turns on the spigot.
The water is like an antediluvian wave,
it overflows the basin first, then splashes into the tub.

And my sister said, “Stop,” and I said, “Carry on!”
I picture the body returning to the neighbor. A crumb
of soaking fur is in front of a family Buddist
altar. The drops wet a tatami-mattress and socks.

Popular posts from this blog

Amazon Best Sellers : Best Asian American Poetry #11

Thank you very much for purchasing my poetry chapbook, "Home, No Home". I am really REALLY thankful for your support.

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"
Previous project - "On a Black Hill" This collection will be available from Tupelo Press.