Skip to main content

A POEM FOR THE TOHOKU EARTHQUAKE IN JAPAN NO.18

I am writing poems adapting Japanese tsunami news/stories into the first narrative. What I can do as Japanese, I want to tell their stories to English speaking countries. The poem is fictional based on a real event.

***
Dandelion

There you were.

Your friends and brothers were
washed away on their way home.

You sat in the corner of a white

bed; still no words five
days after the earthquake.

I interviewed you. My cassette
tape recorded the cawing of a crow.

Why you don’t leave her alone? an old nurse asked me.

The rest of Japan starves for hope.

After the tsunami,

after the fire,

there is a dandelion.

The yellow dot thrives
on the wasteland, and then a grandmother is found.

There is hope
you will meet your family again.

When?

Under the sheets, you feel your cold legs.

Popular posts from this blog

Amazon Best Sellers : Best Asian American Poetry #11

Thank you very much for purchasing my poetry chapbook, "Home, No Home". I am really REALLY thankful for your support.

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"
Previous project - "On a Black Hill" This collection will be available from Tupelo Press.