Skip to main content

A POEM FOR THE TOHOKU EARTHQUAKE IN JAPAN NO.12

I am writing poems adapting Japanese tsunami news/stories into the first narrative. What I can do as Japanese, I want to tell their stories to English speaking countries. The poem is fictional based on a real event.

***
BRIDGE

1.
My sister and I were running
away from the tsunami. A policeman

pointed to the pedestrian
bridge. Over the bridge,

there was a hill.

2.
The right side slowly
collapsed. People & houses

were pushed away like an origami
city. Pink, orange, green…paper

flowers, I used to make with my sister.

3.
Our origami city was underneath
a wool blanket tent. We listened to Satie’s

piano music. With a flash light,
it was preserved in eternal

peace until the blanket fell.

4.
I saw the policeman’s head
flash in the water.

Where is my sister?

I called out her name over the hill.

Popular posts from this blog

Amazon Best Sellers : Best Asian American Poetry #11

Thank you very much for purchasing my poetry chapbook, "Home, No Home". I am really REALLY thankful for your support.

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"
Previous project - "On a Black Hill" This collection will be available from Tupelo Press.