Skip to main content

A POEM FOR THE TOHOKU EARTHQUAKE IN JAPAN NO.10

I am writing poems adapting Japanese tsunami news/stories into the first narrative. What I can do as Japanese, I want to tell their stories to English speaking countries. The poem is fictional based on a real event.

***
PERSIMMON TREE

I’m waiting for my wife at the second
floor of our house. The first floor was
full of mud. I can’t take off my shoes.
The washing machine knocked over a
persimmon tree in her garden. I picked
up plastic pieces, so when she comes
back, she can plant hydrangeas. Maybe
the next earthquake crushes the house,
firefighters told me to live at a shelter.
I refuse to leave. I wash muddy rice in
the bathtub. In the refrigerator, there is
salami… I’m waiting for my wife. Every
morning, I visit the shelter to check the
survivor’s list and news. I just learned,
I have a loan to pay for the destroyed house.

Popular posts from this blog

Amazon Best Sellers : Best Asian American Poetry #11

Thank you very much for purchasing my poetry chapbook, "Home, No Home". I am really REALLY thankful for your support.

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"
Previous project - "On a Black Hill" This collection will be available from Tupelo Press.