Skip to main content

A POEM FOR THE TOHOKU EARTHQUAKE IN JAPAN NO.9

I am writing poems adapting Japanese tsunami news/stories into the first narrative. What I can do as Japanese, I want to tell their stories to English speaking countries. The poem is fictional based on a real event.

***
UMINARI

I gave you a warm
glass of sake. Uminari; miles away
waves crashed in the ocean.

It sounded like a thunder storm,
but you only saw
stars in the sky. I plucked

the samisen strings;
allegro tempo in a small
Japanese bar. The wind
slowly blew rain clouds over the stars.

Let me grab my kimono and samisen.

I screamed when a man
carried me to the hill. Fifteen
minutes later, the tsunami
washed away the bar…

I saw your wife. She looked
for you in the survivor’s list. Her eyes
followed her finger
down hundreds of names. Uminari
echoed in her mind. I want

to play the samisen again.
On the Uminari night, I light
the candle. Your favorite sake and yellow
chrysanthemum are on the counter.


***Note***
Samisen is a three-stringed Japanese banjo

Popular posts from this blog

Amazon Best Sellers : Best Asian American Poetry #11

Thank you very much for purchasing my poetry chapbook, "Home, No Home". I am really REALLY thankful for your support.

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"
Previous project - "On a Black Hill" This collection will be available from Tupelo Press.