Skip to main content

A POEM FOR THE TOHOKU EARTHQUAKE IN JAPAN NO.7

I am writing poems adapting Japanese tsunami news/stories into the first narrative. What I can do as Japanese, I want to tell their stories to English speaking countries. The poem is fictional based on a real event.

***
THE FISHERMAN

I type numbers for thirteen
dollars an hour; converting Japanese
yen to U.S. dollars for eight

hours a day. My sick father says,
You’re healthy and safe. What else do you want?

After the earthquake, a fisherman lost
his boats. Three were found
in the supermarket
parking lot. The following

tsunami crushed the rest of them. My father adds,
The fisherman has a clarinet.

In my bed I drink
a glass of organic carrot juice. I turned
on the radio to my father’s favorite

clarinet concerto. Under the crescent

moon, the fisherman
plays it. Looking
down at his destroyed

hometown, he vibrates

his reed. In the ocean breeze, he inhales
invisible radioactive

dust
from the damaged nuclear power plant.

Popular posts from this blog

Amazon Best Sellers : Best Asian American Poetry #11

Thank you very much for purchasing my poetry chapbook, "Home, No Home". I am really REALLY thankful for your support.

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"
Previous project - "On a Black Hill" This collection will be available from Tupelo Press.