Skip to main content
THIS JANUARY
for k.m.

A single page of an unfinished
letter and a cup of
chamomile tea are on a desk.

My mother’s funeral is forty-six
days after she left our apartment.

“I never thought she would die this January,”
my sister said. She is nine
years old. My mother will miss her puberty.

I recollect my mother’s lost
breasts and her sleek long hair on the pillow.

“I want to live,” her voice didn’t
go through the pay phone. Only her
radio kept speaking;

One Egyptian girl was killed in her mother’s arms yesterday…

The blood was purple
and luminous like a galaxy in darkened
space. Broken stars
bleed on the concrete road. The spots

slowly absorb the whole
universe leaving behind the cold
scent of chamomile.

Popular posts from this blog

Amazon Best Sellers : Best Asian American Poetry #11

Thank you very much for purchasing my poetry chapbook, "Home, No Home". I am really REALLY thankful for your support.

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"
Previous project - "On a Black Hill" This collection will be available from Tupelo Press.