Skip to main content
I am reading Zachary Schomburg's "Scary, No Scary." According to his blog, He will be in Chciago on Apr. 29, 2010, Thursday. Columbia Poetry Review Reading and Release Party. Chicago, IL.

***

Columbia Poetry Review no. 23 Release Party & Poetry Reading
Thursday, April 29, 5:30 p.m.
Ferguson Hall
600 South Michigan, 1st Floor

***
And one of my favorite poems from "Scary, No Scary."

THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
ABOUT THE WORLD, PRETEND SON

When I cupped my hand a broken hummingbird fell into it.
Its eyes had been pecked out, its beak was missing, and I could
see its heart beating through its torn chest. The heart began
to fall out, so I put my finger there to hold its heart in. It felt
more like a vibration than a heartbeat, like a moth's wing. It
felt good on my finger. Then another broken hummingbird
fell, but into the pond. It made a few ripples and then floated
there on its side, left leg twitching, beak frozen open, stiff little
creature with one wing straight up. A little paper sail boat.
The clouds were not shaped like clouds. A tree was blooming
with broken hummingbirds instead of leaves. Instead of a sun,

a slow explosion. The hummingbird heart on my finger felt
bottomless. The day almost smelled like spring.

***
P.S. Will you come, Charmi? If I go to the reading, can I get his signature on your book?

Popular posts from this blog

Amazon Best Sellers : Best Asian American Poetry #11

Thank you very much for purchasing my poetry chapbook, "Home, No Home". I am really REALLY thankful for your support.

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"

Graphic Poetry - "White Avenue"
Previous project - "On a Black Hill" This collection will be available from Tupelo Press.